Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Captivating is just one word that can best describe the book written by Khaled Hosseini.  If some of you haven’t read The Kite Runner and doesn’t know who Khaled Hosseini is, I suggest you better go to the nearest bookstore and purchase his 3 books. 



The Kite Runner (I might give another review on a separate blog) made me want to cry myself to sleep and in all honesty, it did cause me a sleepless night right after reading it.  However, given the situation and having read the second book of Mr. Hosseini, I can fairly say that “The Kite Runner” and “A Thousand Splendid Suns” were as soul wrenching, heart gripping a real page turner.

Both the novels of Mr. Hosseini made me understand and realize the trials and tribulations of a war torn country.  A Thousand Splendid Suns made me picture out what was really happening out in the real world.  The novel made me see the trials and all the heartaches a war torn country could ever experience. 

The novel dealt a lot with loss, pain, suffering, and even betrayal.  Of course, it is not all that bad; it had a lot of good points and values.  It taught the readers, how to HOPE even at your most weak moment, even at a person’s defeating hour.

At the end, who can be said as a true hero, the protagonist of the story?  Was it Mariam or Laila?  I leave it up to the readers to decide but for me, the two were the protagonists, they endured a lot of pain in their hearts and still survived the battle.  Mariam might be seen as the main protagonist but her role in the novel was not just to take care of her own heart but also those of Laila’s and even the future of the orphanage.


Bravado to the writing of Khaled Hosseini and may he always captivate our hearts.  Can’t wait to read his other book, “And The Mountains Echoed” 

Till next blog, 

No comments:

Post a Comment